Sunday, August 2, 2009

DD-WRT and freedns.afraid.org

I am currently using a Netgear WGR614v8 router running Firmware:DD-WRT v24-sp2 (03/27/09) mini.

I recently decided sign up with one of the many available dynamic DNS services. One of the supported services in the DD-WRT firmware is freedns.afraid.org. I really liked their user interface so I signed up.

Much to my dismay the initial login attempt from the router failed. After confirming my user ID and password were correct, I did a bit of searching.

Here's the secret:

When configuring the options in the DDNS configuration screen of DD-WRT you have to make a slight adjustment to the hostname field. You have to include the hash value for your site after the actual hostname.



Note the hostname field.

Now, you may be asking "Where do I get this mysterious hash value?" Easy!

Just log into your account at freedns.afraid.org, click on "Dynamic DNS" on the left hand side of the screen. Hover over the "Direct URL" link and copy the shortcut value to the clipboard. This will give you something like this:

http://freedns.afraid.org/dynamic/update.php?UUZGxRSVRTTUl25VUmMTozALink
The part we care about is the value after the "?" in the query string. Now, just modify your Hostname value in DD-WRT to look like: myhostname.com,hashvalue and then save the settings.

That's it.

11 comments:

  1. thanks! this worked great: "mydomain.com,myhash" - spoonjab

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this - turns out the hash value my router pulled automatically wasn't complete! You saved me a few hours of work, at least!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I received an error when using fredns.afraid.org and DD-WRT. DD-WRT automaticly pulled a hash but it was not complete. I copied the hash as you described and it started working flawlessly. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the info. I spent hours trying all kinds of stuff and turns out as someone else mentioned my router also pulled the hash but missed last 2 characters - weird. Anyways now a happy camper. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant, thanks for solving this for me! Looks like even the latest DD-WRT builds (Feb 2013) are still populating the key incorrectly and need to be manually corrected.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Worked Great. You are a Life saver

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the blog post. My DD-WRT build still corrupts that hash and I just switched to FreeDNS. I was pulling the hairs out of my head with what was going wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it worked for you! This particular issue has been hanging around for a long time it seems.

      Delete
  8. thanks worked for me too and this is a lifesaver for sure as can spend hours on something that should take seconds. Wish dd-wrt forum was more precise with instructions!

    ReplyDelete
  9. yes - thank you Jeff.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you very much, that works well with my Zyxel VMG1312 router too.

    ReplyDelete